The University of Guam’s Comptroller’s Office
We are committed to quality service in order to efficiently and accurately process the financial activity of the University, maintain student accounts, comply with regulatory compliance under the Federal and Local laws, and safeguard the University's assets.
The Comptroller’s Office is supported by about 31 staff grouped under different sections: The Business Office (B.O.), Supply Management, Payroll, Bursar/Collections/Student Accounts, Budget, and an Administrative Assistant. The Comptroller’s position reports directly to the Vice President-Administration and Finance.
The B.O. is the largest section providing a wide variety of functions and services. B.O is divided into two main sectors: The General Ledger/Local Section and the Grants Management Section.
The GL/Local Section is responsible for the recordkeeping, financial reporting, and monitoring of the budgets and other funding sources of over 16 units accounted for under the General Fund (local fund), auxiliary services, discretionary, entrepreneurial, indirect cost and non-appropriated activities. These units are accounted for separately under the Colleague System, the University’s General Ledger System. General Accounting Supervisor Ms. Juliet Galeno heads this section.
The Grants Management Section under the management of Frances Tomboc, is responsible for the accounting of over 550 Federal (direct and pass-through) and Local grants. Frances manages the recordkeeping, compliance and financial reporting as required by the funding agency, both Federal and Local.
The B.O. supports the Bursar/Collections/Student Billing and Accounts Section in so far as the receipts of student tuition and the disbursement of PELL and Stafford Loans, merit and student stipends. There are about 3,721 students that are serviced by the Bursar Office. There is a strong and effective link between the B.O. and other units such as the Bursar/Collections/Student accounts, the Financial Aid Office and the Admissions and Records.
The development and preparation of annual budgets (General Operations, Auxiliary, NAF)is under the oversight of Associate Budget and Program Officer (ABAPO).
The Payroll Section is managed by a Payroll Supervisor (Vacant) with the assistance of 2 staff members. There are over 800 employees processed by this department. This section is responsible for paying the administrators, faculty, staff and students, withholding, benefits and filing related taxes and maintaining labor distribution, including the required Time and Effort payroll allocation.
The University has its own procurement unit. Supply Management Administrator Vicente Borja oversees all purchases, bids, requests for quotations and proposals. He has one staff, a Buyer II (vacant).
Staff Development and Training:
The staff of the Comptroller’s Office participate in periodic technical trainings and annual professional development workshops. There is one US CPA, one Philippine CPA, two MBAs, and two CGFMs. The Comptroller supports and encourages staff in the pursuit of higher education and professional certification.
Service Provided to Students:
- Assisting students with questions about their accounts
- Assessing tuition and fees on a timely basis
- Generating e-bills and maintaining accurate student account balances
- Facilitating payments of outstanding student account balances
- Processing students’ PELL grants, Stafford Loans, Merit Awards, Stipends, and other scholarship awards
- Refunding excess balances on student accounts
- Receiving payments by phone, by mail, and in person
- Offering payment plan options to ease financial pressures
The Comptroller’s Office is part of the University’s Administration and Finance division under the leadership of David O’Brien, Vice President-Administration and Finance. Mr. O’Brien reports to the University President, Robert Underwood.
The managerial and supervisory staff includes:
- Zeny Asuncion-Nace – Comptroller, MBA CPA CGFM CrFA
- Bobbie Molarte - Associate Comptroller/Bursar
- Gloria Travis – ABAPO, CGFM
- Vicente Borja - Supply Management Administrator
- Frances Tomboc, GAS Grants Management
- Juliet Galeno – GAS General Ledger, MBA Philippine CPA
- Payroll Supervisor (vacant)
- Monica Medina - Accounts Payable Supervisor
- Julie Rosario - Collections Supervisor
The Comptroller’s Office is open from 8 am until 5 pm Monday through Friday.