J.D., University Libre of Bogota, Colombia / M.L.S., Syracuse University, New York
Associate Professor, Spanish Legal Historiography and Librarian, Spanish Documents Collection & Manuscripts Collection.
Professor Brunal-Perry’s current research interest is concentrated on the legal and historical interpretation of documents concerning the colonial Spanish administration in the Mariana and Caroline Islands, particularly land grants, administrative and judiciary actions, as well as other cultural aspects pertaining to the Spanish presence in Guam and Micronesia.
Brunal-Perry has done archival research in the national archives of Mexico, the Philippine Islands, Spain, and the United States. In addition, she has directed the archival project entitled "The Spanish Language Judicial Records of Guam" with its resultant annotated index. As Librarian of the Spanish Documents Collection and the Manuscripts Collection, she is involved with collection development and academic support concerning the Spanish Colonial period in Guam and Micronesia.
- Brunal-Perry, Omaira. Guide to the Documents Compiled for the Guam War Claims Review Commission. Richard Flores Taitano Micronesian Area Research Center, 2004.
- ___. "Spanish Missionaries in the Mariana Islands," Pacific Islands: The Spanish Legacy. Lunwerg Editors, SA (Madrid 1998): 45-51.
- ___. "Juicio de Residencia de 1777 de don Antonio de Apodaca, gobernador español de las islas Marianas," Colonial Latin American Historical Review 6:3 (1997): 279-413.
- ___. "El Acervo Novohispano en la Universidad de Guam", Boletín del Archivo General de la Nación. (México, 1995): 81-89.
- ___. Índice de Documentos Relativos a las Islas Marianas y Carolinas Siglo XIX, Provenientes del Archivo del Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores de España (AMAE). RFT MARC Working Paper #72. (Guam 1997).
- ___, ed. Index to the Judicial Records of Guam: Spanish Language Judicial Records. Annotated Index. Digital publication CD-ROM. Guam 1997.
- Driver, Marjorie G., and Omaira Brunal-Perry, eds. A Time of Agony. Saipan,1944. MARC. Educational Series No. 19. Guam, 1994. (xviii, 88p.)
- ___, eds. The Spanish Era Forts of Guam. MARC Educational Series No. 17. Guam, 1994. (61p.)
- ___, eds. Carolinians in the Marianas in the 1800s. MARC Educational Series No. 20. Guam, 1996. (xvi, 312p.)
- ___, eds. Reports Concerning the Mariana Islands the Memorias of 1852-1856. MARC Educational Series No. 21. Guam, 1996 (xii, 204p.)
- ___, eds. Chronicle of the Mariana Islands. MARC Educational Series No. 23. Guam 1998. (xxiv, 236)
Omaira Brunal-Perry, Chairperson of the Centennial Conference "The Legacy of the Spanish-American War in the Pacific" June17-19, 1998, at the Hilton Hotel, Guam.