Early Childhood Education, B.A.
Acting Program Advisor
This program provides pre-service and in-service courses/programs at the undergraduate level. It provides the region with teachers who are especially able to teach preschool and primary grade children (PreK-2) in a variety of cultural environments.
The program of studies for the major in Early Childhood is designed for students who wish to enter the educational profession as teachers in preschool, primary and elementary grades. A minimum total of 128 credit hours is required.
General Education Requirements (55 credit hours):
Each student must fulfill the General Education requirements as listed in the Academic Rules and Regulations section of the University of Guam Undergraduate Catalog. General Psychology (PY101) and History of Guam (HI211) are recommended and fulfill certain General Education Requirements.
Professional Education Requirements (40 credit hours):
- Introduction to Teaching (ED110) or Foundations of Education (ED403)
- Practicum: Observation and Participation (ED192)
- Human Growth and Development (ED201)
- Educational Psychology (ED300)
- Effective Teaching Strategies for the Elementary Multicultural Classroom (ED350)
- Fine Arts Methods: Elementary (ED351)
- P.E. and Health Methods Elementary (ED363)
- Social Studies Methods: Elementary (ED353)
- Science Methods: Elementary (ED354)
- Language Arts Methods: Elementary (ED355)
- Mathematics Methods: Elementary (ED356)
- Reading Methods: Elementary (ED357)
- Methods Practicum (ED392)
- Technological Applications for Education (ED271)
- Evaluation (ED489)
Specialization Requirements (24 credit hours):
- Development in Early Childhood (ED251)
- Language Arts in Early Childhood (ED330)
- Teaching the Young Child (ED331)
- Curriculum for Young Children (ED332)
- Creative Arts in Early Childhood (ED333)
- Solving Discipline Problems: Strategies for Classroom Teachers (ED334)
- Building Home and School Relationships in Early Childhood Education (ED336)
- Practicum in Student Teaching (ED492)
Electives (11-20 credit hours):
An “Emphasis Area” option is available in which certification in an added area is possible. Contact an advisor in the School of Education.