Elementary Education, B.A.
Dr. Lourdes Ferrer
This program provides pre-service and in-service courses/programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. It provides the region with teachers who are able to teach at the elementary level in a variety of cultural environments.
The program of studies for the major in Elementary Education is designed for students who wish to enter the educational profession as teachers in educational programs for K-5 graders. A minimum total of 124 credit hours is required.
General Education Requirements (55 credit hours):
Each student must fulfill the General Education requirements as listed in the Academic Rules and Regulations section of the University of Guam Undergraduate Catalog. General Psychology (PY101), Culture and Education in Guam (ED265) or History of Guam (HI211), and Computers in Education (ED452) are recommended and fulfill certain General Education Requirements.
Professional Education Requirements (55 credit hours):
- Foundation Courses – Introduction to Teaching (ED110) or Foundations of Education (ED403), Human Growth and Development (ED201), Educational Psychology (ED300), Technological Applications for Education (ED271), and Evaluation (ED489)
- Method Courses – Effective Teaching Strategies for the Elementary Multicultural Classroom (ED350), Fine Arts Methods: Elementary (ED351), Social Studies Methods: Elementary (ED353), Science Methods: Elementary (ED354), Language Arts Methods: Elementary (ED355), Mathematics Methods: Elementary (ED356), Reading Methods: Elementary (ED357), and P.E. and Health Methods: Elementary (ED363).
- Practicum Experience – Observation and Participation (ED192), to be taken concurrently with Introduction to Teaching (ED110). Students must also complete Methods Practicum (ED392) for 3 credits and Practicum in Student Teaching (ED492)/Internship in Teaching (ED498) for 12 credits.
Related Area Requirements (9 credit hours):
- Introduction to Exceptional Individuals (ED215)
- Children’s Literature (ED319)
- Solving Discipline Problems: Strategies for Classroom Teachers (ED334)
Related Area Electives (9 credit hours):
Solving Discipline Problems: Strategies for Classroom Teachers (ED334), Working with Second Language Learners (ED482), or other courses in Special Education, Instructional Technology, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, and Early Childhood. Courses other than Education courses may be selected upon approval of the advisor.
General Content Area Requirements (3 credit hours in addition to the General Education Requirements):
One class in American History, Early America (HI201), Modern America (HI202), or The United States in Recent Times (HI406), or any Geography (GE), Anthropology (AN), Political Science (PS), Sociology (SO), Business Administration (BA)/EC, or LI course.