Master of Education - Secondary Education
The School of Education offers a Masters Degree specialization in Secondary Education. This specialization is designed for teachers in the secondary schools on Guam or in a multicultural environment.
Core Courses (9 credits)
- ED600 Issues and Philosophies in Culturally Diverse Schools (3)
- ED601 Introduction to Research Methods (3)
- ED602 Qualitative Inquiry in Education (3) or
- ED603 Quantitative Analysis (3)
Elective Courses in Education (6 credits)
- ED612 School Law (3)
- ED641 Middle/Secondary Reading and Writing in Content Areas (3)
- ED670 Effective Middle Schools (3
- ED671 Critical Issues in Secondary Schools (3)
- ED672 Philosophy of Education (3)
- Graduate Level course from any college with the approval of program faculty
Specialization Courses (15 credits)
Courses in this area would be those in a student's teaching content area and would be approved and selected in conjunction with the academic advisors in the appropriate content areas (SOE and CLASS or CNAS or SBPA). For example, in the content area of social studies, the student should select courses in the M.A. program in Micronesian Studies or graduate level courses in history, political science, anthropology, etc.
PRAXIS II with a passing score approved for licensure on Guam. Current requirements (May 11, 2010) may be found at the Guam Commission for Educator Certification website (required for all students) and Oral Examiniation.
Thesis or Special Project (6 credits)
- ED691 Overview Seminar (3)
- ED690 Special Project (3) or
- ED695 Thesis (3)
TOTAL: 36 CREDIT HOURS