Second Language/Elementary Education, B.A.
The program of studies for the Second Language/Elementary Education Major is designed for students who wish to teach in English as a Second Language (ESL) or Languages Other Than English (LOTE), Chamorro, or bilingual programs at the elementary level. A minimum total of 124 credit hours is required. Students completing this program will meet Elementary (K-5th) certification requirements. Note that the language courses to acquire proficiency in a language other than English are not part of the program but should be part of the General Education offerings selected by the student. During student teaching, the student is required to demonstrate teaching competence in two languages.
General Education Requirements (55 credit hours):
Each student must fulfill the General Education requirements as listed in the Academic Rules and Regulations section of the University of Guam Undergraduate Catalog. General Psychology (PY101), Culture and Education in Guam (ED265), or History of Guam (HI211) is recommended and fulfills certain General Education Requirements. For those wishing to work in Chamorro or Chamorro/English bilingual programs, Elementary Chamorro (CM101) and Elementary Chamorro II (CM102) are required.
Professional Education Requirements (39 credit hours):
- Introduction to Teaching (ED110) or Foundations of Education (ED403)
- Practicum: Observation and Participation (ED192)
- Human Growth and Development (ED201) or Child Development (PY201)
- Educational Psychology (ED300)
- Effective Teaching Strategies for the Elementary Multicultural Classroom (ED350)
- Social Studies Methods: Elementary (ED353)
- Science Methods: Elementary (ED354)
- Language Arts Methods: Elementary (ED355)
- Mathematics Methods: Elementary (ED356)
- Reading Methods: Elementary (ED357)
- Evaluation (ED489)
- Plus Fine Arts Methods: Elementary (ED351) or P.E. and Health Methods: Elementary (ED363)
Specialization Requirements (33-39 credit hours):
Introduction to Bilingualism/Biculturalism (ED280), Structure of the Language (ED385a-b), Structure of the Language: Chamoru Orthography (ED385c), Second Language Curriculum and Materials Development (ED480), and Second Language Teaching Methodology (ED481). Introduction to Linguistics (LN300), Structure of English (LN385), Applied Linguistics (LN400), and Practicum in Student Teaching (ED492) for 12 credit hours (at least 6 credit hours in an ESL, Chamorro, or bilingual/bicultural classroom). ED385a-b is required for Chamorro, Chamorro/bilingual, and other second language teachers. LN385 is required for ESL, other second language, and bilingual teachers.
Electives (0-8 credit hours):
Consult an advisor.