General Education Requirements (55 credit hours):
Each student must fulfill the General Education requirements as listed in the Academic Rules and Regulations section of this catalogue. The following are requirements for this major that fulfill certain General Education Requirements: EN 111, CO 210, MA 110, or MA 161a or MA 165, CF 231, BI 124/124/L, BI 125/125/L, HI 211, and PY 101. A grade of "C" or better must be earned in these courses.
Professional Education Requirements (34 credit hours):
ED 110, or ED 403, ED 192, ED 201, ED 300, ED 451, ED 462, ED 473, ED 489, ED 492. A grade of "C" or better must be earned in each of these courses.
Specialization Requirements (50 credit hours):
HS/SW355, PE 109, PE 124, PE 125, HS 131 or HS 132, HS 200, PE 214, PE 212, PE 220, PE 251, PE 312, HS/PE 322, HS/PE 324, PE 326, PE 352 and PE 392a concurrently, PE 353 and PE 392b concurrently, PE 426 and PE 454G. A grade of "C" or better must be earned in all requirements for the major. A minimum GPA in the major of 2.75 and 2.7 overall is required for graduation.
By the completion of the program, teacher candidates will be able to:
1. Demonstrate competency in the performance of a variety of motor skills needed to execute physical activities.
2. Understand movement concepts and how they apply to the teaching of motor skills.
3. Design and implement developmentally appropriate activities for all students to engage in.
4. Select, modify, and adapt instruction to meet the diverse needs of students.
5. Demonstrate the use of technology to enhance student learning.
6. Use a variety of assessment strategies to accurately gauge student learning.
7. Model a wellness lifestyle by engaging in regular physical activity.
8. Demonstrate appropriate professional dispositions when interacting with students, colleagues, administrators, and the community.
9. Participate in various professional organizations and attend workshops, seminars, and/or conferences at the regional, district, and national levels.
10. Gain employment as a physical educator or health educator at the elementary or secondary level and/or coach at the elementary or secondary level