CariPac Summer Internship Program at the University of Virgin Islands
One student intern position is available to participate in the Caripac Summer intern program at the University of the Virgin Islands during June 1 to June 20, 2014
The University of the Virgin Islands will be hosting the three-week 2014 CariPac Summer Internship Program on the St. Croix Campus from June 1 to June 20, 2014. Students will be involved in training that includes hands-on participation in both laboratory and field activities. Participants will be able to observe and acquire tropical agricultural skills from a Caribbean perspective. All expenses including travelling to the Virgin Islands and living costs will be provided.
Preferred intern to have:
(a) strong organizational skills; (b) strong leadership and problem solving skills; (c) strong interpersonal skills; (d) computer literacy; (e) strong written and verbal communication skills; (f) Interest, background or experience with farming, gardening, and/or animal care; (g) experience in establishing and maintaining a garden; (h) experience in working with multicultural students; (i) experience in working with students, faculty and staff in an multicultural environment.
Examples of Tentative Activities:
- Student "Meet and Greet" with UVI President Hall or Provost McKayle and instructors.
- Orientation: use of campus facilities such as library, computer lab, health center and athletics facility.
- Campus tour of the Agricultural Experiment Station facilities.
- Visit Longford Cattle Ranch, Department of Agriculture, Tropical Fruit farm.
- Site visit to Farmer's Market to expose students to local produce and farmers.
- Charter sail to Buck Island National Marine Reserve.
- Visit to local farmers conducting conventional and organic practices.
- Attend an Aquaculture workshop.
- Visit St George Village Botanical Gardens, King Grass production and Captain Morgan distillery.
- Leatherback Turtle Watch at Sandy Point National Wildlife Refuge.
- Hands-on Agricultural Field activities in the AES research facilities.
- Tour historical forts in Christiansted and Frederiksted
- Beach day followed by Movie night at the local theater.
- Visit USDA-ARS Field Station.
How to apply: Interested students should submit a resume, contact information, expected graduation date, and a short statement describing why they would like to participate in the program before 5:00 p.m. on April 25, 2014 to Dean’s Office. Applications will be reviewed as soon as they are received. Early application is encouraged.
For more information about the CariPac Summer Internship program, contact Ms. Annie Santos (735-2000; email@example.com) at Dean’s office, or Dr. H. Diambra Odi (734-0925; firstname.lastname@example.org), Coordinator of the CariPac Summer Internship Program.
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands