The holidays are fun, but think of safety, too
The holiday season has begun, and Safety Administrator Alfred Garrido would like to share some safety tips on campus, at home and in our island community.
On campus, the number for Security is 671-888-2456.
If it’s an emergency beyond our campus, call 911.
• If using an artificial holiday tree and lighting, ensure it is fire-resistant.
• Never overload any electrical source.
• Replace light sets that have broken or cracked sockets or missing components.
• Never use frayed or broken extension cords or wires.
• Turn off all lights and decorations when you go to bed or leave the house.
• Travel using a buddy system.
• Always be aware of your surroundings - Look around, stay aware of what is going on around you.
• Carry a cell phone.
• Be prepared to take pictures or videos of any incident. If necessary, take note of license plate numbers, suspicious individuals, and any pertinent information needed for a report.
• Keep your purse or wallet close to your body.
• Don't take your money out until asked and don’t flash a lot of cash.
• Save your receipts and monitor your credit card activity.
• Be patient when looking for a parking space or traveling on the roadway.
• Park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
• Don’t leave anything valuable in your car.
• Store bags out of sight, and when they’re in your vehicle, place in your trunk if possible.
• Proper mask-wearing and physical distancing are still recommended.
• Wash hands frequently.
• Get medical care if you feel ill.
For more information, contact:
UOG Safety Administrator Alfred Garrido
Office: +1 (671) 735-2372
Mangilao, Guam 96913
The University of Guam is a U.S. Land Grant and Sea Grant Institution accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission. UOG is an equal opportunity provider and employer committed to diversity, equity and inclusion through island wisdom values of inadahi yan inagofli'e: respect, compassion, and community.