PI-CASC announces funding opportunity for climate adaptation research
The Pacific Islands Climate Adaptation Science Center (PI-CASC) is looking to fund research projects for FY2022 focused on new, emerging, or rapidly evolving climate adaptation issues.
PI-CASC hopes to fund five to eight smaller individual awards and intends to focus funding within the U.S.-Affiliated Pacific Islands, which include the Northern Mariana Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, Palau, American Samoa, and Guam.
1. Managing Novel Ecosystems
3. Fresh Water Security Solutions
5. Island to Island Technology Transfer
Statements of Interest are invited from teams of resource managers, scientists, scholars, and other community stakeholders who share PI-CASC’s vision of producing science-based solutions to climate adaptation challenges through a co-production approach. Individuals from the eligible consortium (University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, and University of Guam) and USGS partners may submit proposals as the lead principal investigator. Researchers from other organizations (federal, state, tribal, non-governmental and other) may participate in CASC-funded projects and receive funds via subawards, contracts, or interagency agreements through an eligible organization. Please reach out to PI-CASC if you need assistance identifying an eligible organization.
Two informational webinars have been recorded and are available for viewing:
- Webinar 1: The overarching CASC network funding opportunity, hosted by the National CASC. Find the national Zoom information in the RFP on page 3. To access a recording of the network webinar, please contact email@example.com.
- Webinar 2/Q&A: The region’s specific priorities and processes. This webinar maybe viewed here. PI-CASC staff are also available to address questions and concerns outside of these venues. You can find the regional Zoom and PI-CASC staff contact information in the RFP on page 37.
- Deadline to submit Statement of Interest: Noon on Friday, March 19, 2021 (HST)/8 a.m. on Saturday, March 20, 2021 (ChST). Successful SOIs will be invited to submit full proposals.
- Notification of invitation: Thursday, April 22, 2021
- Deadline for invited full proposals: Saturday, July 31, 2021
- Notification of Intent to Award: Wednesday, Sept. 8, 2021
This year, the PI-CASC FY22 Request for Proposals is a part of the joint federal FY22 funding opportunity with the other eight regional Climate Adaptation Science Centers serving all U.S. states, territories, and affiliated-Pacific Islands. Find the full national Climate Adaptation Science Center FY22 Funding Opportunity by clicking here. Information pertaining to PI-CASC can be found on page 36 of that document.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Romina King
PI-CASC UOG Lead